The leading quick service restaurants (QSRs) chain needed a reliable IT service provider who could provide remote and on-site support in restaurants across Russia. In the course of its four-year cooperation with ICL Services, the company allocated 70 restaurants in 14 cities of the Privolzhsky Federal District to support.
Employees of retail and catering companies often face some typical issues — "the application freezes," "the assembly line monitor is not functioning," or "cashier checks are not printing." Sometimes employees fail to open a restaurant or store because the cash register is not operable. Unavailability or issues with sales applications may cause downtime and make sales impossible, which is why support for IT equipment is an important business process for such companies.
One of the customers that uses remote and on-site support for IT infrastructure from ICL Services is a leading QSR chain. Cooperation with the chain started in September 2014.
Goals and objectives
- Organization of the first 24/7 support line and Organization of on-site maintenance for customer's equipment
- Organization of a complete cycle for procurement, upgrade and disposal of the equipment
Implemented our solution
- The Service Desk receives service calls from the employees of the restaurant by phone, email, or a single-window service managed by the customer.
- The first support line operates 24/7. Each support call is registered in Omnitracker, and a service desk employee helps to solve the problem if it falls within the scope of his/her competence. "It's a unique customer who uses various business systems and employs specific custom-tailored applications. For this reason, each of our employees is required to possess profound knowledge of these applications' operating principles and to be able to manage a really tight schedule," says Vasily Filatov, Delivery Manager, ICL Services Service.
- Service desk specialists also have to address various challenges simultaneously, since the major part of service calls from the employees of the restaurant arrive at the point of shift change, which happens approximately at the same time in all restaurants.
- If the service desk manages the issue at his/her level, the ticket is closed. If not, an appropriate ticket for on-site visit is created for a field service engineer. If the equipment needs replacement, the ticket is automatically redirected to procurement and warehouse.
- ICL Services FSEs receive on-site visit assignments via the Snaryad system. The system enables keeping record of the response time for a service call, time of arrival on site, and time spent solving the problem. After a specialist finishes performing the work and signs the required certificates, the documents should be scanned and sent and the assignment closed. Time indices for FSEs largely depend upon the task urgency. ICL Service specialists spend around 200 hours in the field monthly.
- The Service Desk comprises four employees that respond to all service calls within 24 hours. In the daytime — when the peak loads are observed — two more employees join the line. When service calls are received related to specialized equipment, they are redirected to one of three experts. Two field service engineers are employed in every city where the restaurants of the chain are present.
- ICL Services also controls the entire cycle of equipment procurement, upgrade and disposal. If a piece of equipment is out of order in a restaurant, ICL Services pros will identify the cause of the fault, take the faulty equipment to the service center and provide temporary operable equipment as a replacement. After proper technical examination, the equipment is either repaired or decommissioned. 286 pieces of equipment were repaired in 2018.
- If a restaurant migrates to a new IT system, ICL Services specialists will purchase new servers, wires and adaptors, pre-install new software, and dismantle outdated equipment. Replacement is performed during the night, and the next morning everything in the restaurant is already operatable in the new system.
- Data from Omnitracker and Snaryad systems is collected and sent to the Pulse control and metric implementation system. The system helps track KPIs and manage customer's SLAs.
- The customer's central office relies on the opinion of restaurant directors when performing a satisfaction level assessment. The ICL Services Service Delivery Manager personally talked to each of them in order to receive feedback and identify strengths and weaknesses of the ICL support line.
- Meetings with the customer are held quarterly to discuss major indicators, challenges, and achievements. ICL Services Specialists present new services that may be useful to the customer.
- Actually, the figures speak for themselves — in 2018 alone, 20 restaurants were given over to ICL Services for support. Currently, 70 restaurants in 14 Russian cities are serviced by ICL Services.
- Outsourcing of IT infrastructure support services helps the customer to concentrate on his/her dedicated business processes to get a manageable and transparent service while mitigating the risks related to supporting full-time employees.
"Cooperation with ICL Services is aimed at ensuring business continuity. Their high-quality work enabled us to minimize the negative impact that the hardware and software faults could have on our business process. In the course of our four-year cooperation, ICL Services specialists were able to gain insight into the specifics of our hardware and software solutions and ensure a sufficient level of professional service support.
The prompt response to service calls and the expert approach to the organization of support service based on best practices, attentive attitude toward customer needs and proactive approach of ICL managers are also worth noting," says customer's Deputy CIO.
ICL Services specialists provide service for all IT equipment in the restaurants (excluding fire protection systems and telephony):
- 600 cash registers and units
- 300 employee workstations
- 200 switches and headsets
- Sales kiosks
- LCD displays
- LAN networking hardware
- In September, October, and November 2018, the service desk processed 4,430 calls
- In November, service desk specialists processed 99.9% of calls
- 85% of issues were solved within the first support line
- Average caller waiting time — 11 seconds
- Average conversation duration — 3 minutes and 34 seconds